These taquitos are loaded with a beef and bean mixture and served with a cool avocado sauce. You can deep fry them or bake them, but however you make them, you’ll be a hit!
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 C. + 4 tsp. oil
- 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 C. canned pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 onion, halved and sliced thin
- 2 jalapeno chilies, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 C. water
- 3 Tbs. fresh cilantro, minced
- salt and pepper
- 12 (6-in.) corn tortillas
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Avocado Sauce:
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted and chopped coarse
- 1/2 C. plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 C. water
- 3 Tbs. lime juice
- 2 Tbs. fresh cilantro, minced
- salt and pepper
To make the taquitos, heat 1 tsp. oil in a medium skillet. Add the beef and cook until the beef is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a strainer, drain, and set aside.
- In a bow, mash the beans to a paste and set aside. In the skillet, heat 1 Tbs. oil over medium heat and add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the jalapenos, garlic, cumin, and chili powder. Cook for an additional 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the mashed beans, tomato sauce, water, cilantro, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Stir in the beef and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Put a wire rack in the baking sheet. Wrap 6 tortillas in a wet paper towel and microwave for 90 seconds, or until they are soft and pliant. One at a time, brush the edges of the top half of each tortilla with egg. Spoon 3 Tbs. filling onto the lower half of the tortilla and roll it tightly and place it seam side down on the lined baking sheet. Cover with a clean and damp towel. Repeat with the remaining 6 tortillas.
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees and lightly brush each taquito with oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until they are crisp and golden brown.
- For the avocado sauce, combine the avocados, yogurt, water, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender. Blend until smooth and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside until ready to serve.
Yum Yum !