I just “LOVE” French Onion Soup, it’s one of my favorite soups!
Serving Size / Yield
- ½ C. unsalted butter
- 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 C. white onion, sliced
- 4 (10.5 oz.) cans beef broth
- 2 tbs. dry sherry
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices French bread
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- ¼ C. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Continue at http://www.dontsettle.com
In an 8-quart stock pot, combine butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in broth, sherry, thyme, salt and ground pepper. Simmer mixture for 30 minutes.
Warm oven broiler.
Ladle soup into oven-safe serving bowls. Add one bread slice, one provolone slice, ½ Swiss cheese slice and 1 tbs. Parmesan to each serving bowl. Arrange bowls on a large baking sheet. Broil for 2 minutes or until cheese is well browned. Serve warm.