It is that time of year again, hurricane season. As I listened to the news this morning we already have to tropical systems approaching the Carolina‘s. My mind cannot help but remember back to 2014 we had 4 hurricanes pass our way. Charley was the worst and my first one to experience, and experience I did. However, I was one of the lucky ones my home was not destroyed and I was one of the only ones in my area that did not have a blue tarp on my roof. My home sat low to the ground and my yard was surrounded by trees, shrubs and flowers so I think this might have helped protect us. That and the good Lord above watching over us.
I pray that we are not hit again even though rumor has it we are “overdue”. I hope you have already secured your preparation and know the appropriate evacuation route. Hurricane season starts June 1st so time is of the essence here.
This is the link to the 2016 prediction by NOAA
This is a list that is recommended by NOAA:
Basic Disaster Supplies
Recommended Supplies List
A basic emergency supply kit could include the following recommended items:
- Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener for food
- Local maps
- Be prepared, be safe and God Bless.